• Welcome to my Series III Restoration Site
  • Fairey Overdrive Overhaul
  • Fitting Forward Facing Rear Seats & Belts
  • Fitting a Defender Heater

Welcome to my Series III Restoration Site

This site is dedicated to my eternal fiddling and tweaking of my 1972 Series III 109 inch Land Rover. I bought it in February 1992 and immediately set about a few repairs and a bit of tidying up and all these years later I’m still working on it! After years of minor rebuilds, in 2004 the discovery of some major corrosion led to a full ground-up rebuild. As this started, the specification started to creep, and many new features were incorporated in order to make it a highly usable combination of daily driver, family vehicle, expedition vehicle and general utility.
This multi purpose use leads to many compromises and is why the vehicle still continues to evolve after the rebuild as new ideas or new frustrations reveal themselves. I have acquired two more vehicles (the Range Rover and the Lightweight), which also have their own jobs.  They are not subject to the level of work or alteration that the 109 has been,  so they have their own smaller, more generalised blog sections.  The “how to” guides on popular repairs or modifications to all three vehicles are included in the FAQ section. Please note, I am not a trader in vehicles or parts, and am not a garage providing repair services. This site is to offer inspiration, technical information and ideas to other Land Rover enthusiasts, helping others learn from my experiences over twenty years, both positive and negative.  I write about what has and hasn’t worked for me – I cannot promise that the same ideas will work for your vehicle.
The vehicle is still an ongoing project and still gets the occasional new accessory or modification, but below is a list of alterations that make up the basic specification of the vehicle and are covered in posts in the respective subsections on the site navigation bar and menu:
[Continue reading]

PAS Pump

The PAS pump is now mounted.  I used a length of 50 x 6mm bar and 2mm sheet to make up the bracket, and the original front mounting plate from the 4.6l V8 engine to secure the front end.  The back plate of the bracket was fixed in place and the pump position marked on before drilling the three rear mounting bolt holes that allow bolts to pass through from behind the bracket into the rear pump mounting lugs, in line with the three front bolts that attach it to the front plate.  There is no adjustment on the plate – the belt is tensioned to one setting, and is fitted by loosening the two vertical M12 bolts through the back of the bracket into the engine timing case.  As the rear bolt is tightened, it pulls the back of the bracket down and the pulley up tight with just enough tension that the pulley can’t be turned by hand without tools.  The belt is 812mm, so quite narrow too (V-belts have widths proportional to length), so sits well down into the pulley wheels, but this should not be an issue as it is only driving the one accessory.

I have also been practicing more with the arc welder, much harder than mig (which I don’t have).  I have been using 6013 rods, which I’m told (in response to my requests for tips) are harder to use than the 7018s I bought today.  The photos show some of the later efforts, once welding a tab of 2mm plate to a 2mm section box tube, and the other doing a lateral weld on the vertical face of the box tube (not as easy as it sounds, welding a vertical face).  I even progressed onto getting some slightly untidy but strong welds on the underside, which is tricky with the sag that these old 6013s are prone to.  I’ll try the 7018s tomorrow and see how that goes – if the weather is any good (the forecast is for rain), I may get to start the bracket on the chassis, the parts of which have now been collected

.

Daylight view of the new Steering Wheel and Column

dash-day

Just a little post for some clearer images of the completed interior work for the steering upgrade: … [Continue reading]

PAS: Defender upper column completed

complete-column-left

There isn't a lot to say here, because it was just the completion of the groundwork set by the last few days.  The stalk switches are all wired up and tested, and I resolved the malfunctioning of the "Smart Screen" intermittent wiper and auto wipe … [Continue reading]

PAS: Defender upper column (part 2)

column-bracket

A little more progress today.  I installed the column lower mounting bracket (another coat of Schutz is needed on the steering box mount where the box used to sit), finished modifying the wiring from the column switches to fit the SIII wiring loom … [Continue reading]

PAS: Defender upper column (part 1)

steering-column-lower

I have taken a template and measurements of the parts required for the PAS box to the local engineering shop, and expect to have the plate and four gussets by the weekend.  They will also be able to tap threads inside the P38 drag link once I cut it … [Continue reading]